Thursday April 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show...

1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 1 day ago #23869

• DFBB76712
  • Cable/Phone/Internet, part-time Personal Trainer
Here's the progress photos of 4/22. Weight is high 167 or low 168. Should I take the extra 4 weeks & wait until June to compete or take my chances at the Musclemania regional qualifier next month?

Please excuse the room, my laundry room has the best light. :D

P.S. sorry these are so small...larger version in my pics on myspace.
Kevin Parker
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waco-TX/Lil-Diesel-Gym/148484752002?ref=mf
Lil Diesel Bodybuilding Ministry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 1 day ago #23870

• DFBB76712
Here are more...
Kevin Parker

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 1 day ago #23871

• DFBB76712
Last ones
Kevin Parker

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 1 day ago #23875

• bharrop
  • Heavy Lifter
  • None
  • Thank you received: 1
Kevin,

I think you mentioned your known smooth weaknesses already. I agree with you on your erectors, glutes, and halms. I am sure your also aware that means only one thing your just not lean enough. They are usually the last to lean up.
I struggled for 2 years with my BF levels and it was not until I hired one of the better natural pros to handle my prep that I came in shredded (glutes and all) and took both masters and open cards that year.

Now I think your symmetry is nice and thickly balanced (maybe calves could be a bit larger to match your thick quads but thats splitting hairs)

IMO if you put your efforts into getting leaner you will place much better and be hard to beat. Do not give the judges any reason to compare you with anyone else. Set the standard for your class!

Do I think your ready? IMO I would lean up more and bring a package that is shrink wrapped.

No candy coating. Are you ready? yeah. Will you be competitive? yeah. Are you the best you can be???? I think you can bring a much tighter package.

Hope this helps...
Bert

I used "WNBF Pro "The Animal" (Kurt Weidner)"
http://www.kurtweidner.net/index.html
I never met him personally but worked with over the phone, email, and posted progress shots every 1-2 weeks. He was there every step of the way including show day. I put my entire diet prep in his hands. He is not all that expensive. Several hundred.

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 1 day ago #23876

• DFBB76712
So Bert you would recommend that I spend the next 2 months getting leaner and wait until June to compete, right?

I have been doing 2-a-days on cardio but have no problem waiting and doing my due dilligence on cardio & posing. There's another musclemania qualifier in August and it's such a big contest, I'd rather go in knowing I have a serious chance.

I tend to get leaner & harder each show and at this point want to go in with my best foot forward.

My wife agrees with you on the calves, she calls me chicken legs, haha! What do you do to pound yours?
Kevin Parker

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 1 day ago #23880

• bharrop
  • Heavy Lifter
  • None
DFBB76712 wrote:
So Bert you would recommend that I spend the next 2 months getting leaner and wait until June to compete, right?

Yes.
I agree the longer you stay lean the better. This way you can start increasing calories going into your show, opposed to cutting them.
It sounds like you want to place so bring your "A" game. (Size, Symmetry, and Conditioning) conditioning is the only factor, at this point, you can control.

That said it all depends on who shows up. You may get the placing had you done both.

DFBB76712;23876 wrote:
My wife agrees with you on the calves, she calls me chicken legs, haha! What do you do to pound yours?

My most lacking part as well. However I have made some progress lightening up the weight a bit, static stretching between sets, and increased the volume a bit. I also love to add stage repetitions. They allow me to use the heavier weight while keeping the volume high.

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 1 day ago #23881

• DFBB76712
bharrop wrote:
DFBB76712;23876 wrote:

My most lacking part as well. However I have made some progress lightening up the weight a bit, static stretching between sets, and increased the volume a bit. I also love to add stage repetitions. They allow me to use the heavier weight while keeping the volume high.

Define "stage repetitions"; I haven't heard that phrase before.

I won a pro masters card last year but ran 2nd in all my open classes last year and I know conditioning has held me back. I'm ready to take it to the next level so, like you said, don't give the judges any choice. I'll spend the next 7 weeks getting into the best conditioning possible.
Kevin Parker

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 22 hours ago #23884

• bharrop
  • Heavy Lifter
  • None
Good move!

Stage Reps are a HIT technique. I included a description link from Elliot Darden's site. I am sure you will find stage reps a useful tool to add to your box.
Basically you divide your full Range of Motion into 3 parts. Load the weight and exhaust your weakest part first when they are strongest and then move to your next part and then the last all completed in one set.

http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do?id=411526

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 21 hours ago #23886

• DFBB76712
Thanks Bert. Very interesting read! I will definitely be working staged reps for calves on Sunday morning as well as his HIT technique he has for arms on the front page tomorrow. Good stuff!
Kevin Parker

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 14 hours ago #23892

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Manager / Webmaster
  • Thank you received: 28
Should I take the extra 4 weeks & wait until June to compete or take my chances at the Musclemania regional qualifier next month?
Why not do both? Its difficult to tell from the size of the pics however from my vantage point everything looks good for 4 weeks out. A few more weeks to lean out followed by lots of color and your good to go. With your background, you already know how your body responds and how long it takes to shed the last few lbs, you also are experienced in posing and know what to expect.
Every show adds to your knowledge base and makes you a more experienced competitor. Your not an amateur and no one knows better than you if you are ready.

I once sat out a show because I didn't feel that I was ready, only to see a guy that I had beaten two weeks prior walk away with first place.

What do you think, can you do both?

Lift
Lift for Life - Natural Bodybuilding at it's Finest!
www.liftforlife.com

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 5 years 4 hours ago #23901

• DFBB76712
Thank you Kerry...I appreciate what you're saying.

I think Bert has hit upon the mountain I've been going around for the last 3 years since returning to competitions. I'm never truly in shape. I won a class in a large NPC show in 2000 and I was just shredded. I found the pictures recently and it shocked me. I thought I was in shape or getting into that kind of shape until I saw that. When I came back in 2006, I really had no business being on stage but I knew I wouldn't push myself as hard unless I did shows. I have progressively gotten into better shape each show but still have this softness in my lower back, glutes & upper hamstrings. I've really been targeting that and feel like I have it on the run now.

Last year, I don't believe I ever finished lower than 3rd (first year in only drug-tested shows-they're not as abundant in TX unless you really look for them!) but I think to go to that next level, I'm going to have to push myself harder (especially factoring in age) to get this core issue as hard as it needs to be. Instead of short circuiting it by competing, I'll just hammer things for these last 7 weeks and see how I improve.

I'll attach a couple of photos from that contest. It was in 2000. And don't say that was then, God's not done with me yet, haha!
Attachments:
Kevin Parker

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 4 years 11 months ago #23902

• bharrop
  • Heavy Lifter
  • None
Lift for Life wrote:
Why not do both?
I once sat out a show because I didn't feel that I was ready, only to see a guy that I had beaten two weeks prior walk away with first place.

What do you think, can you do both?

Lift

Kevin,
I think I alluded to the same thing. Go in and continue to get harder and tighter for the 2nd show if you have to. It would really hurt to sit the sidelines only to kick yourself in the end.

I had 3 qualifiers picked in 07 spaced several weeks apart. My plan was to start slow and finish strong.

So send in your application and begin the commitment....

Those are 2 nice shots.

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 4 years 11 months ago #23908

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Manager / Webmaster
  • Thank you received: 28
I agree, nice pics.

Hey, you even had more hair :D

Lift
Lift for Life - Natural Bodybuilding at it's Finest!
www.liftforlife.com

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 4 years 11 months ago #23912

• bharrop
  • Heavy Lifter
  • None
Lift for Life wrote:
Hey, you even had more hair :D

Lift

:eek: I was thinking the same thing great shots and more hair.....

Maybe a nice posting topic. 10 year age progressions.

RE:1 month from Musclemania or 2 months from NGA show... 4 years 11 months ago #23916

• DFBB76712
Praise God, my hair is the only thing that has betrayed me in these 25 years of bodybuilding. My first show was in 1989 where I think I took 2nd to last out of 9 or so. I wish I had photos from that show. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to take photos until the late 90s. I guess I was so disappointed in my placings that I lost interest.

I have more photos from the late 90s. I'll attach a few. I hate to sound like a quitter but I've given up on the hair and just cut it off, saves me like $5 a year in shampoo! :D

Seriously, here's what my gameplan is: My NGA show in Longview is 7 weeks from today, then depending on how I do, there's another NGA show on July 11th. If I do well in the first show, then the NPC TX State Naturals is July 18th and I'll do that show. My goal is to win an NGA open pro card & qualify for the Team Universe (TU). The TX State Naturals is ahead of the TU this year so I could still do that show. If I don't qualify for the TU, there's another Musclemania qualifier in August and regardless, the NGA TX Championships is in October. They usually have a pro masters division which I may try this year as well. Clear as mud? 2 qualifiers-1 in June, 1 in July, then a show in August & Ocotober. So 3 to 4 shows this year depending on what happens.

Thanks for your support and for this great forum that brings all this expert advice together. I'd like to post progress photos so I can refocus on weaknesses before the show. Bert has already got me working on extra on calves!

Here's a few more from the summer & fall of 1999. Thanks for everything guys!
Attachments:
Kevin Parker
  • Page:
Moderators: DFBB76712, Diezel
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds

S5 Box

Please Like Us,,We're New to Facebook

The Muscle Maximizer Program