Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Workout Recovery

Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26666

• Trying2Grow
  • New Trainer
  • Executive Mgmt
I have now been working out 4 days per week sometimes 5 for over a year and changing my routines monthly. For the last several weeks the soreness from working out tends to linger much longer and I wake up in the night and my arms are on fire. I am able to go back to sleep but the burn is incredible.

Am I over doing it? Or, is this normal? I trimmed down 22 lbs just a few months ago and my body has been changing rather dramatically but this is new.

Just so you know I work Chest and back on Mon/Thurs and Arms on Tues/Frid and cardio separately.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26668

• todd
  • Super Natural
  • Cellular Technician
  • Thank you received: 1
Am I over doing it? Or, is this normal? I trimmed down 22 lbs just a few months ago and my body has been changing rather dramatically but this is new.

Congrats on your progress..sounds like you are doing great! My advice would be to take a small break if I was experiencing this. Not a long break...maybe just 4-7 days of no-light lifting and maybe some light cardio. Then go back to whats working and see how you feel. I lift hard and heavy but when my body tells me it is time for a break I give it one. Whether it is backing off a little for a week or two or even doing nothing for a week it usually works to my advantage.

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26669

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Manager / Webmaster
  • Thank you received: 28
It definitely sounds like you are overtraining.
Just so you know I work Chest and back on Mon/Thurs and Arms on Tues/Frid and cardio separately.
You can't work your chest or back without going through your arms. Considering that you "work arms" on separate days from chest and back,,,,, you are never giving them time off.

You may want to change your workout emphasis from chest and back to "push and pull".

You work both the chest and triceps using push movements and the back and biceps are worked using pull movements. That is the function of each muscle group. Therefore, if you split your workouts into push days and pull days, working both chest and triceps on the push days and back and biceps on the pull days, you will not be training the same muscle group each day allowing more time for recovery.

A reasonable split is
Push day
Pull day
Legs
Off
Repeat

Lift
Lift for Life - Natural Bodybuilding at it's Finest!
www.liftforlife.com

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26671

• Trying2Grow
  • New Trainer
  • Executive Mgmt
I don't think I communicated that well. I am working my chest and back on Monday and Thursday and then my arms on Tuesday and Friday. So, I am keeping my arms days separate at present. Even thought I have give myself the weekend off from weights I am still feeling it much more than in months past. I would like to think this is a good thing and my muscles are finally responding to all the working out but at the same time I want to be careful.

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26690

• nic902
  • Athlete
  • sales manager
Trying2Grow wrote:
I don't think I communicated that well. I am working my chest and back on Monday and Thursday and then my arms on Tuesday and Friday. So, I am keeping my arms days separate at present. Even thought I have give myself the weekend off from weights I am still feeling it much more than in months past. I would like to think this is a good thing and my muscles are finally responding to all the working out but at the same time I want to be careful.

Your bis and tris get worked on back and chest days as well, so by having a seperate arm day they are getting a lot of training.

This is my fave split:

Quads/calves
Chest/tri
Back/ham
Delt/bi
REST
Repeat
too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear and too happy to permit the presence of trouble

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26697

something I noticed ... ALOT in gyms..

why do guys EVER HARDLY train their legs and ONLY do their arms ??? I mean c'mon dudes !!! MOVE IT UP A NOTCH.. we won't like you solely for your "BIG" guns !!!! ya gotta have legs too ;)

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26704

• todd
  • Super Natural
  • Cellular Technician
  • Thank you received: 1
something I noticed ... ALOT in gyms..

why do guys EVER HARDLY train their legs and ONLY do their arms ??? I mean c'mon dudes !!! MOVE IT UP A NOTCH.. we won't like you solely for your "BIG" guns !!!! ya gotta have legs too

I do and always have trained my legs hard! I do notice the same trend though...seems like the younger guys at my gym never do anything for their legs. Even going a step further there are a few who do nothing but bench and curl:dunno:. However the older guys and/or the powerlifters probably train legs just as much if not more than upper body.

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26708

• Justin Morgan
  • Heavy Lifter
  • worship leader/church staff
  • Thank you received: 2
If you really want your muscles to grow they need rest time. I may be echoing other comments, but when you are working back the pulling motion causes you to work your bi's. When you are working chest the pushing motion brings your triceps into play. So L4L's recommendation of working Back and bi's together and Chest and tri's together is one that would be wise to follow. Working legs would be excellent for cutting body fat and building strong muscular legs too.

Also I'll add that muscle recovery is necessary and vital if you want them to grow. Personally I work chest/shoulders/tri's every Monday, Back/bi's on Tuesday, and legs on Wednesday. I superset everything to get a good cardio work out. Then on Friday I run a mile, do 100 pull-ups (back/bi's), 200 push ups/dips (chest, shoulders and tri's), and 200 hanging leg raises (abs). I do 20 super sets of 5, 10, 10. And following that I run another mile. I don't workout at all on Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Not that you should do this just because I do it, but it's kind of an example and it has been working well for me over the last 3 months.

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26711

• nic902
  • Athlete
  • sales manager
todd wrote:
I do and always have trained my legs hard! I do notice the same trend though...seems like the younger guys at my gym never do anything for their legs. Even going a step further there are a few who do nothing but bench and curl:dunno:. However the older guys and/or the powerlifters probably train legs just as much if not more than upper body.

YES! Most guys train chest/arms DAILY...I think they only train the things they can see! There doesnt seem to be a lot of back training going on either :dunno: But at the same time, I just want to shake the chicks doing a zillion crunches or using the add/abductor machines ;)
too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear and too happy to permit the presence of trouble

RE:Workout Recovery 4 years 6 months ago #26719

• SquatMax
  • Totally Natural
  • I teach and I coach high school social studies, football, and powerlifting.
Trying2Grow wrote:
I have now been working out 4 days per week sometimes 5 for over a year and changing my routines monthly. For the last several weeks the soreness from working out tends to linger much longer and I wake up in the night and my arms are on fire. I am able to go back to sleep but the burn is incredible.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

good morning,

~innocent look~

where are the legs?

you're actually working arms four days a week in that routine... that's a lot for what are essentially small muscle groups...

have a great day,
Stats:

Chest: 55.5 Squat: 475
Waist: 43.5 Bench: 455
Biceps: 19.25 Dead : 495
Quads: 29.5
Weight: 318 down to 274
"Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live... "

-- Marcus Aurelius

""The sense of superiority in bodily strength is borne out by the long history of mankind paying homage in folklore, song and poetry to strong men"
  • Page:
Moderators: DFBB76712, Diezel
Time to create page: 0.565 seconds

S5 Box

Please Like Us,,We're New to Facebook

Login Form

The Muscle Maximizer Program