Thursday April 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer 3 years 9 months ago #31726

• DFBB76712
  • Cable/Phone/Internet, part-time Personal Trainer
I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I’m not going to dazzle you with my brilliance or knock you down with my IQ,. I’m not going to blow you away with my raw talent. While I did graduate college it was because I outlasted them until they gave me a degree; it took me only 7 years to convince them! And while I’m often successful, it’s almost never on the 1st try. Most of my successes have come after many failures, often enough failures that most would have walked away to look for something they were better at. But before you think I’m a pessimist and/or down on myself, let me correct you; I’m not. I’m self-aware of my strengths & weaknesses.

Yet with this knowledge also comes the realization that to be a success at anything means I’ll have to work harder & longer than those around me. I may come to the party late most but when I arrive, I come to stay; it’s my only chance at success. My skill is to outlast others, to continue to be consistent when others have given up. This is my “skill or gift”. Case in point: at 45, given 20 weeks to prepare for a bodybuilding show, a 20-something or 30-something bodybuilder will get into better shape & often beat me. However, if I stay on my diet for another 12-20 weeks starting again from a new leaner starting point, I become more competitive as I did in 2000 when I rolled my momentum and won at the 2nd contest following another 3-month diet after previously dieting for another show.

Now I don’t say these things to whine about my disadvantages but to try to get you to look at your life the same way I do. Life is not a sprint; it’s not a destination. It’s a marathon & a journey. If you quit expecting to “arrive” at a destination and instead embrace the journey you’re on, you’ll have a lot less disappointments in your life. I try to live everyday with the idea of being just a little better than the day before. Some days I am and some days, not so much. But at least I’m in the batter’s box swinging at the pitches.

In this journey of persistence & patience, I don’t like to make quick decisions because in time, things will work themselves out to show you the wisest direction to go. I’m try not to make snap judgments about people or circumstances because time reveals true motives or lets you see people as they really are & not just the side they want you to see. Don’t listen to what people say, but watch what they do…and for that you’ll need time. Jon Foreman from Switchfoot says, “Everyday is a 2nd chance”. I’d like to expand that idea and say everyday is another opportunity to see God’s power in action. Patience gives the control back to God’s will for the situation, not that you are to be apathetic while you wait on God. Keep doing what you do w/o forcing things-persistently!

I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer & it’s OK if you’re not either. In fact in intellect & talent, I’m quite ordinary. Be realistic when sizing up your strengths & weaknesses. But whatever you can do, be excellent & persistent at it! (And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17 NLT)

Your brother in Christ, Kevin
These articles are anecdotal in nature; please have a physical by qualified personnel before embarking on a workout program and/or diet.
Kevin Parker
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waco-TX/Lil-Diesel-Gym/148484752002?ref=mf
Lil Diesel Bodybuilding Ministry
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Not the sharpest knife in the drawer 3 years 9 months ago #31727

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Manager / Webmaster
  • Thank you received: 28
Big Amen to that Kevin,
Three things I swear by

Persistence
Attitude
Faith

Thanks for the thought provoking post!

Lift
Lift for Life - Natural Bodybuilding at it's Finest!
www.liftforlife.com

RE:Not the sharpest knife in the drawer 3 years 9 months ago #31730

• DFBB76712
  • Cable/Phone/Internet, part-time Personal Trainer
Lift for Life wrote:
Big Amen to that Kevin,
Three things I swear by

Persistence
Attitude
Faith

Thanks for the thought provoking post!

Lift

Thank you Kerry for all your support, encouragement & inspiration!
Kevin Parker
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waco-TX/Lil-Diesel-Gym/148484752002?ref=mf
Lil Diesel Bodybuilding Ministry
  • Page:
Moderators: DFBB76712, Diezel
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds

S5 Box

Please Like Us,,We're New to Facebook

The Muscle Maximizer Program