Friday April 18, 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Working shoulders

Working shoulders 6 years 4 months ago #6575

Working shoulders takes a lot of patience and persistence. I always do my heaviest lift (my core lift) for shoulders first. My core lift for shoulders is barbell shoulder presses (seated) in front of the head, and not behind the neck. I work shoulders on my chest day because I think you get a good a double effect on the shoulders working chest and shoulders on the same day. When working shoulders you should always do isolation exercises for all 3 heads of the shoulder. The anterior, the posterior, and the medial heads (front, back, and side). When working shoulders and chest together exercise order if very important. For the medial (side) head of the deltoid my favorite exercise is side lateral dumbell raises, one arm at a time. Doing isolation exercises if very important when working shoulders.
http://www.BigGuysGym.com
"Home of the Tall Man's Ultimate Workout Program."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 4 months ago #6590

• SavagePriest
  • Aspiring Athlete
  • None
The clean and press has always been my best exercise for shoulders. :)
Say your prayers...The Priest is coming.

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 4 months ago #6591

• SavagePriest
  • Aspiring Athlete
  • None
Markus Ruhl had some of the best shoulders in the pros. And the core of his workouts were machines.

http://www.espacioblog.com/myfiles/nutricionyculturismo/1004261088267938.jpg

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 4 months ago #6592

• SavagePriest
  • Aspiring Athlete
  • None
"I work shoulders on my chest day because I think you get a good a double effect on the shoulders working chest and shoulders on the same day."

"The anterior, the posterior, and the medial heads (front, back, and side). When working shoulders and chest together exercise order if very important. For the medial (side) head of the deltoid my favorite exercise is side lateral dumbell raises, one arm at a time. Doing isolation exercises if very important when working shoulders."

Okay I am not knocking you dude, so please dont take this personally...

Think of it as constructive criticism :)

To be brutally honest the pic you have of yourself(if that is you). Your shoulders do not seem to be that massive. You seem like every other slim PTer I've seen in my day.

I think you focus too much on isolation movements and not enuff on mass building.

Also 90% of pros would never dream of combining chest with shoulders. THIS IS UNHEARD OF. Its usually chest on mondays and shoulders on fridays. AT LEAST 3-4 days apart.
Again dude please do not be insulted by what i have just said. I have had to deal with this kind of harsh critiscm too, but it made me stronger.

This is just my 2 cents. :)

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 4 months ago #6623

• DaveM
  • Aspiring Athlete
  • Public Relations/Advertising Director
I've been working shoulder on chest day as well, and I've seen some pretty decent results, especially in the ant. delts.
I guess, as usual, it's all about that works for you.
***Dave Minella, WNBF Pro***

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 4 months ago #6838

• iabai
  • Athlete
  • Office admin
That SavagePriest kid is a cheeky monkey but I agree with most things he says regarding the shoulders. I don't much bother with any isolation exercises for any part. In my own opinion they are only useful for those preparing for competition. Plus, the shoulders take a hammering in ALL upper body sessions - and even get involved in deadlifting and squating!

Don't over cook them!!!

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 4 months ago #6862

• MacLeod
  • Aspiring Athlete
  • beer truck driver
Id like to disagree that chest with shouders is unheard of. Kevin Levrone and Arnold just to name 2 work em like that.

But Ill throw a curveball in here - unless youre competing and needing the best shoulder development you can get, I dont think you need to work shoulders at all if you lift primarily heavy free weights.

A good chest workout with heavy bench, incline and such will blast your shoulders! Doing a bunch of extra shoulder work afterwards makes injury more likely. The delts are tiny muscles and are easily overtrained and I found I grew more in strength and size when I quit working shoulders.

**disclaimer**

I know everybody is different and everybody responds different and Im not saying this is the best way, just offering things that worked for me as food for thought.
;)

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 3 months ago #7311

• The Mighty Stu
  • New Trainer
  • Animator, Teacher
While I used to press damn heavy, I've gotten better overall shoulder development from starting with laterals. That when when I get to the presses, my delts are already kinda tired, and they medial head takes a hell of a beating. Besides, the anterior head works a lot from doing flat and incline presses, and the rear head will grow just fine if you're regularly doing heavy barbell rows.

What I throw in occassionally though, are reverse grip military presses. A little awkward at first, but a great burn for the front head when you're almost toasted.

S

RE:Working shoulders 6 years 3 months ago #7335

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Manager / Webmaster
  • Thank you received: 28
While I might have taken an exception to pre-exhausting this muscle group, based on your picture I have to believe that it's working for you.

Good Work!

Lift
Lift for Life - Natural Bodybuilding at it's Finest!
www.liftforlife.com
  • Page:
Moderators: DFBB76712, Diezel
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds

S5 Box

Please Like Us,,We're New to Facebook

Login Form

The Muscle Maximizer Program