TOPIC: Health consequences of a daily diet soda

Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 1 month ago #36947

• veganbodybuilder
  • Athlete
  • None
  • Thank you received: 2
Possibly very serious according to new study:\

www.springer.com/about+springer/media/sp...=0-11001-6-1338721-0
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 1 month ago #36951

• Justin Morgan
  • Heavy Lifter
  • worship leader/church staff
Years ago my wife made a comment about how she bet that diet cola's were probably worse for people that non-diet colas. I think they're probably both pretty bad, but as long as people rely on Big Brother and his cousin, FDA to tell them what they should eat people will always have health problems.

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 1 month ago #36958

• Diezel
  • Network Engineering
  • Thank you received: 8
interesting article, would be interesting to see a related poll

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 1 month ago #36962

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Manager / Webmaster
  • Thank you received: 28
They found that those who drank diet soft drinks daily were 43 percent more likely to have suffered a vascular event than those who drank none, after taking into account pre-existing vascular conditions such as metabolic syndrome, diabetes and high blood pressure. Light diet soft drink users, i.e. those who drank between one a month and six a week, and those who chose regular soft drinks were not more likely to suffer vascular events.

That says a lot. Also,, I don't know of anyone who has lost weight while drinking diet soda but you always see overweight people ordering,,,, "Cheesburger, fries,,, and a Diet",,,
When will they ever learn?
Lift for Life - Natural Bodybuilding at it's Finest!
www.liftforlife.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Justin Morgan

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 3 weeks ago #37003

• CharlesS
  • Aspiring Athlete
  • None
  • Thank you received: 1
You can't conclude anything from that study. Correlation does not equal causation. Real science identifies a cause and effect relation ship. They didn't do that.

I have heard of the same argument from people trying to use some study to claim that diet soda makes people fat. Statistics show that people who drink more diet soda are typically fatter. But I would argue that they are drinking diet soda for a reason. They are already fat and they want to lose weight, so they drink diet soda instead of regular. The skinny people on the other hand can and do drink regular soda without a problem, because they know better not to abuse it.

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 3 weeks ago #37016

• Justin Morgan
  • Heavy Lifter
  • worship leader/church staff
Somebody likes their diet soda.....

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 3 weeks ago #37022

• veganbodybuilder
  • Athlete
  • None
CharlesS wrote:
You can't conclude anything from that study. Correlation does not equal causation. Real science identifies a cause and effect relation ship. They didn't do that.

I have heard of the same argument from people trying to use some study to claim that diet soda makes people fat. Statistics show that people who drink more diet soda are typically fatter. But I would argue that they are drinking diet soda for a reason. They are already fat and they want to lose weight, so they drink diet soda instead of regular. The skinny people on the other hand can and do drink regular soda without a problem, because they know better not to abuse it.

These studies are designed with control groups to help eliminate confounding factors, such as BMI, other lifestyle choices, etc. Studies that do show causality are of course superior, but they are *extremely* rare. To assert that 99% of journal studies are not real science -- well, that's your opinion, but it would not hold up amongst most experts. ....Cigarettes causing cancer comes to mind. Do you know how long it took to get the causal relationship? There were many studies showing the correlations first. That said, I would not place too much emphasis on a single study showing the correlations. But if a number of such studies by different groups and with different cohorts produce similar conclusions, then I would take the conclusions very seriously.

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 5 days ago #37056

• CharlesS
  • Aspiring Athlete
  • None
  • Thank you received: 1
veganbodybuilder wrote:
CharlesS wrote:

These studies are designed with control groups to help eliminate confounding factors, such as BMI, other lifestyle choices, etc. Studies that do show causality are of course superior, but they are *extremely* rare. To assert that 99% of journal studies are not real science -- well, that's your opinion, but it would not hold up amongst most experts. ....Cigarettes causing cancer comes to mind. Do you know how long it took to get the causal relationship? There were many studies showing the correlations first. That said, I would not place too much emphasis on a single study showing the correlations. But if a number of such studies by different groups and with different cohorts produce similar conclusions, then I would take the conclusions very seriously.

I've been drinking diet soda regularly for at least a decade now and I feel quite fine. I'm leaner than ever, and last time I got a checkup the doctor said I was healthy.

I will admit that I probably was increasing my risk of health issues years ago when I was fatter, but that has been long gone. Diet soda or not, being lean or not is what can make the biggest difference in ones health. Overeating and getting fat is harmful to your health.

Re: Health consequences of a daily diet soda 2 years 4 days ago #37057

• veganbodybuilder
  • Athlete
  • None
"Overeating and getting fat is harmful to your health."

Amen to that. It's amazing how more Americans are concerned about the dangers of genetically modified foods, BPAs in canned soup, and pesticide residues than concerned about this most important detriment to health and longevity.
  • Page:
Moderators: DFBB76712, Diezel
Time to create page: 0.668 seconds

S5 Box

Please Like Us,,We're New to Facebook

The Muscle Maximizer Program