Yoga For The Body and Mind – Asana To Improve Health and Flexibility
Yoga is a way of life and just incorporating a few simple exercises in your daily fitness routine can work wonders – not just for the body but for the mind too.
‘CHAKRA’ means the wheel and in the Urdhvadhanur asana the body takes the shape of the wheel.
In Urdhvadhanur – ‘Urdhva ‘ means upright and ‘Dhanur’ means bow, this way we may also call it the Standing Bow Pose.
How does this asana help:-
· This asana bends your back and benefits the spine which is the backbone for your body.
· Each vertebra is strengthened and lengthens increasing the elasticity of the spine.
· As you are in the position your are strengthening your arms, wrist, shoulder and the chest too
· Also stimulating the whole cardiovascular system
· It allows more oxygen into your rib cage as the lungs strengthen.
· People having Asthma and breathing problems are benefited with this asana.
· It helps women suffering from menstrual cycle and uterus problem.
What steps to follow:-
· To begin with, lie down on the floor with hands near your ears.
· Keep your elbows in the air
· Bend your knees, placing your feet flat on the floor.
· Bend the elbows and bring the palms underneath your shoulder.
· Point your fingertips towards your feet.
· Now press down into the palms and lift your torso and hips off the floor.
· Bring the crown of your head to the mat.
· Stay like this for a moment to make sure your body is balanced.
· Now lift your head up and let it fall back.
· Keep the knees together; stretch the legs without tightening the buttocks.
· Try to make a chakra by bringing your feet and hands closer on the mat.
· Stay till you are comfortable.
· You can repeat it 2 – 3 times
You would gradually become more flexible and can increase the repetitions. Pregnant women and the ones who have a weak wrist should not do it.
About Guest Author: Sofia Williams writes for http://www.toyotaplace.com. She likes to contribute to the online sphere by blogging on a vast variety of topics.